A Novel Cluster-Based Cooperative MIMO Scheme for Multi-Hop Wireless Sensor Networks
© Yong Yuan et al. 2006
Received: 4 November 2005
Accepted: 26 May 2006
Published: 20 June 2006
A cluster-based cooperative multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) scheme is proposed to reduce the adverse impacts caused by radio irregularity and fading in multi-hop wireless sensor networks. This scheme extends the LEACH protocol to enable the multi-hop transmissions among clusters by incorporating a cooperative MIMO scheme into hop-by-hop transmissions. Through the adaptive selection of cooperative nodes and the coordination between multi-hop routing and cooperative MIMO transmissions, the scheme can gain effective performance improvement in terms of energy efficiency and reliability. Based on the energy consumption model developed in this paper, the optimal parameters to minimize the overall energy consumption are found, such as the number of clusters and the number of cooperative nodes. Simulation results exhibit that the proposed scheme can effectively save energy and prolong the network lifetime.
- Tarokh V, Jafarkhani H, Calderbank AR: Space-time block codes from orthogonal designs. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 1999,45(5):1456-1467. 10.1109/18.771146MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Cui S, Goldsmith AJ, Bahai A: Energy-efficiency of MIMO and cooperative MIMO techniques in sensor networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2004,22(6):1089-1098. 10.1109/JSAC.2004.830916View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Li X: Energy efficient wireless sensor networks with transmission diversity. IEE Electronics Letters 2003,39(24):1753-1755. 10.1049/el:20031103View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Li X, Chen M, Liu W: Application of STBC-encoded cooperative transmissions in wireless sensor networks. IEEE Signal Processing Letters 2005,12(2):134-137.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Jayaweera SK: Energy analysis of MIMO techniques in wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of 38th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS '04), March 2004, Princeton, NJ, USAGoogle Scholar
- Cui S, Goldsmith AJ, Bahai A: Energy-constrained modulation optimization. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 2005,4(5):2349-2360.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Park CS, Lee KB: Transmit power allocation for BER performance improvement in multicarrier systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications 2004,52(10):1658-1663. 10.1109/TCOMM.2004.836491View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Heinzelman WB, Chandrakasan AP, Balakrishnan H: An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 2002,1(4):660-670. 10.1109/TWC.2002.804190View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Yu Y, Krishnamachari B, Prasanna VK: Energy-latency tradeoffs for data gathering in wireless sensor networks. Proceedings of 23rd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '04), March 2004, Hong Kong 1: 244-255.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.