Effective Radio Resource Management for Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Services in UMTS Networks
© Nuno Souto et al. 2006
Received: 29 September 2005
Accepted: 26 May 2006
Published: 28 August 2006
Broadcast and multicast offer a significant improvement of spectrum utilization, and become particularly important where information channels are shared among several users. Mobile cellular environments are expected to evolve with the technological approaches necessary to facilitate the deployment of multimedia services, such as streaming, file download, and carousel services. The perspective that video streaming in wireless networks services is an attractive service to end-users has spurred the research in this area. To provide for a video delivery platform in UMTS, the third generation partnership project (3GPP) addressed this problem with the introduction of the multimedia broadcast and multicast services (MBMS) in 3GPP Release 6. In this document we analyse several effective radio resource management techniques to provide MBMS, namely, use of nonuniform QAM constellations, multicode, and macrodiversity to guarantee the optimal distribution of QoS depending on the location of mobiles.
- Cover T: Broadcast channels. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 1972,18(1):2–14. 10.1109/TIT.1972.1054727MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Pursley MB, Shea JM: Nonuniform phase-shift-key modulation for multimedia multicast transmission in mobile wireless networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 1999,17(5):774–783. 10.1109/49.768194View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Digital video broadcasting (DVB) framing structure, channel coding and modulation for digital terrestrial television (DVB-T) March 1997. ETSI, European Telecommunication Standard ETS 300 744
- 3GPP, 25.803 : S-CCPCH Performance for MBMS.
- Souto N, Silva JC, Dinis R, Cercas F: Iterative turbo multipath interference cancellation for WCDMA systems with non-uniform modulations. Proceedings of IEEE 61st Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '05), May-June 2005, Stockholm, Sweden 2: 811–815.Google Scholar
- Souto N, Silva JC, Cercas F, Dinis R: Non-uniform constellations for broadcasting and multicasting services in WCDMA systems. Proceedings of IEEE 14th IST Mobile & Wireless Communications Summit, June 2005, Dresden, Germany.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.