Convergence in the Calculation of the Handoff Arrival Rate: A Log-Time Iterative Algorithm
© Dilip Sarkar et al. 2006
Received: 23 March 2005
Accepted: 17 October 2005
Published: 16 March 2006
Modeling to study the performance of wireless networks in recent years has produced sets of nonlinear equations with interrelated parameters. Because these nonlinear equations have no closed-form solution, the numerical values of the parameters are calculated by iterative algorithms. In a Markov chain model of a wireless cellular network, one commonly used expression for calculating the handoff arrival rate can lead to a sequence of oscillating iterative values that fail to converge. We present an algorithm that generates a monotonic sequence, and we prove that the monotonic sequence always converges. Lastly, we give a further algorithm that converges logarithmically, thereby permitting the handoff arrival rate to be calculated very quickly to any desired degree of accuracy.
- Fang Y, Chlamtac I, Lin Y-B: Modeling PCS networks under general call holding time and cell residence time distributions. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 1997,5(6):893–906. 10.1109/90.650148View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lin Y-B, Chlamtac I: Effects of Erlang call holding times on PCS call completion. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1999,48(3):815–823. 10.1109/25.764998View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mopati S: Dynamic adjustment of call pre-blocking parameter using fuzzy associative memory, M. S. thesis. University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla, USA; 2002.Google Scholar
- Mopati S, Sarkar D: Call admission control in mobile cellular systems using fuzzy associative memory. Proc. 12th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN '03), October 2003, Dallas, Tex, USA 95–100.
- Chandra RNS: FAM-based CAC algorithms for interference limited mobile cellular CDMA systems, M. S. thesis. University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla, USA; 2003.Google Scholar
- Chandra RNS, Sarkar D: Call admission control in mobile cellular CDMA systems using fuzzy associative memory. Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '04), June 2004, Paris, France 7: 4082–4086.
- Fedyanin D, Sarkar D: Iterative algorithms for performance evaluation of wireless networks with guard channels. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks 2001,8(4):239–245. 10.1023/A:1017981721733View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lin Y-B, Mohan S, Noerpel A: Queueing priority channel assignment strategies for PCS hand-off and initial access. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1994,43(3, part 2):704–712. 10.1109/25.312778View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ortigoza-Guerrero L, Aghvami AH: A prioritized handoff dynamic channel allocation strategy for PCS. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1999,48(4):1203–1215. 10.1109/25.775369View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ramjee R, Towsley D, Nagarajan R: On optimal call admission control in cellular networks. Wireless Networks 1997,3(1):29–41. 10.1023/A:1019172226345View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Hou J, Fang Y: Mobility-based call admission control schemes for wireless mobile networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing 2001,1(3):269–282. 10.1002/wcm.18View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Rappaport TS: Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA; 1996.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Harine G, Marie R, Puigjaner R, Trivedi K: Loss formulas and their application to optimization for cellular networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2001,50(3):664–673. 10.1109/25.933303View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Sarkar D, Jewell T: Convergence in the calculation of the handoff arrival rate: A log-time iterative algorithm. In Tech. Rep. CS-TR-SJ-01. University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla, USA; August 2002.Google Scholar
- Lehmann EL: Testing Statistical Hypotheses. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 1959.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Shanthikumar JG: Stochastic majorization of random variables with proportional equilibrium rates. Advances in Applied Probability 1987, 19: 854–872. 10.2307/1427105MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.