Evaluation of Cross-Layer Rate-Aware Routing in a Wireless Mesh Network Test Bed
© L. Iannone et al. 2007
Received: 29 June 2006
Accepted: 27 November 2006
Published: 23 January 2007
Real deployments of wireless multihop networks, by Internet service providers (ISPs), have been slowed down by their poor performance and unreliability. The research community has already proved that efficient cross-layer routing, in particular rate-aware routing, can significantly improve performances. Nevertheless, this work has been done mainly by simulations, seldom being implemented in a real environment. We present in this paper the results we obtained by comparing the performances of the traditional routing approach based on the hop-count metric and the cross-layer routing approach based on the transmission rate metric. These measurements have been done on the MeshDVNet test bed we deployed in our laboratory. As a routing protocol, we used two versions (with and without cross-layer metric) of MeshDV, a simple routing protocol expressly designed for wireless mesh networks (WMNs). As our tests clearly show, cross-layer rate-aware metric gives important improvements, in both connectivity and throughput.
- Yang L, Zerfos P, Sadot E: Architecture taxonomy for control and provisioning of wireless access points (capwap). RFC 4118, June 2005View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Akyildiz IF, Wang X, Wang W: Wireless mesh networks: a survey. Computer Networks 2005,47(4):445-487.MATHView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Deering S, Hinden R: Internet protocol version 6 (ipv6) specification. RFC 2460, December 1998View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Soekris Engineering http://www.soekris.com/net4521.htm
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) : Supplement to 802.11-1999, wireless lan mac and phy specifications: higher speed physical layer (phy) extension in the 2.4 ghz band. IEEE Standard 802.11, 1999.
- Proxim wireless http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bgpccard/
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), "802 standard working group, wireless lan medium access control (mac) and physical layer (phy) specifications: high-speed physical layer in the 5 ghz band," IEEE 802.11a Standard, 1999.
- Netgate http://www.netgate.com
- The NetBSD Project http://www.netbsd.org
- Iannone L, Fdida S: MeshDV: a distance vector mobility-tolerant routing protocol for wireless mesh networks. Proceedings of the 1st IEEE ICPS Workshop on Multi-hop Ad Hoc Networks: From Theory to Reality (REALMAN '05), July 2005, Santorini, GreeceGoogle Scholar
- Conta A, Deering S: Internet control message protocol (icmpv6) for the internet protocol version 6 (ipv6) specification. RFC 2463, December 1998.Google Scholar
- Perkins C, Bhagwat P: Highly dynamic desination-sequenced distance-vector (dsdv) routing for mobile computers. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Communications Architectures, Protocols and Applications, August-September 1994, London, UK 234-244.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Iannone L, Fdida S: Mrs: a simple cross-layer heuristic to improve throughput capacity in wireless mesh networks. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies (CoNEXT '05), October 2005, Toulouse, France 21-30.Google Scholar
- Iannone L, Fdida S: Can multi-rate radios reduce end-to-end delay in mesh networks? a simulation case study. MESH NETWORKING: Realizing the Wireless Internet (Meshnets '05), July 2005, Budapest, HungaryGoogle Scholar
- DAST/NLANR Iperf Project http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/
- Mit roofnet project http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php
- Wireless mesh networking at carleton university http://kunz-pc.sce.carleton.ca/MESH/index.htm
- Politecnico di Milano MobiMESH http://www.elet.polimi.it/upload/antlab
- Mesh Networking Academic Resource Toolkit 2005 http://research.microsoft.com/netres/kit/
- Ucsb meshnet http://moment.cs.ucsb.edu/meshnet/
- Srisuresh P, Egevang K: Traditional IP Network Address Translator (Traditional NAT). RFC 3022, January 2001.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Perkins C, Belding-Royer E, Das S: Ad hoc on demand distance vector (aodv) routing. RFC 3561, July 2003.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Clausen T, Jacquet P: Optimized link state routing protocol (olsr). RFC 3626, October 2003.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Seok Y, Park J, Choi Y: Multi-rate aware routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 57th IEEE Semiannual Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '03), April 2003, Jeju, Korea 3: 1749-1752.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.