A Utility-Based Downlink Radio Resource Allocation for Multiservice Cellular DS-CDMA Networks
© Mahdi Shabany et al. 2007
Received: 30 May 2006
Accepted: 8 January 2007
Published: 8 March 2007
A novel framework is proposed to model downlink resource allocation problem in multiservice direct-sequence code division multiple-access (DS-CDMA) cellular networks. This framework is based on a defined utility function, which leads to utilizing the network resources in a more efficient way. This utility function quantifies the degree of utilization of resources. As a matter of fact, using the defined utility function, users' channel fluctuations and their delay constraints along with the load conditions of all BSs are all taken into consideration. Unlike previous works, we solve the problem with the general objective of maximizing the total network utility instead of maximizing the achieved utility of each base station (BS). It is shown that this problem is equivalent to finding the optimum BS assignment throughout the network, which is mapped to a multidimensional multiple-choice knapsack problem (MMKP). Since MMKP is NP-hard, a polynomial-time suboptimal algorithm is then proposed to develop an efficient base-station assignment. Simulation results indicate a significant performance improvement in terms of achieved utility and packet drop ratio.
- Honig ML, Kim JB: Resource allocation for packet data transmission in DS-CDMA. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, October 1995, Monticello, Ill, USA 925-934.
- Honig ML, Kim JB: Allocation of DS-CDMA parameters to achieve multiple rates and qualities of service. Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '96), November 1996, London, UK 3: 1974-1978.
- Kim JB, Honig ML: Resource allocation for multiple classes of DS-CDMA traffic. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 2000,49(2):506-519. 10.1109/25.832982View Article
- Kim JB, Honig ML, Jordan S: Dynamic resource allocation for integrated voice and data traffic in DS-CDMA. Proceedings of the 54th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '01), October 2001, Atlantic City, NJ, USA 1: 42-46.
- Gamal AE, Mammen J, Prabhakar B, Shah D: Throughput-delay trade-off in energy constrained wireless networks. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT '04), June-July 2004, Chicago, Ill, USA 439.
- Holma H, Toskala A: WCDMA for UMTS: Radio Access for Third Generation Mobile Communications. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 2000.
- Navaie K, Yanikomeroglu H: Optimal downlink resource allocation for non-realtime traffic in cellular CDMA/TDMA networks. IEEE Communications Letters 2006,10(4):278-280. 10.1109/LCOMM.2006.1613746View Article
- Navaie K, Montuno DY, Yanikomeroglu H, Zhao YQ: Optimal downlink resource allocation for cellular CDMA networks. In Adaptation Techniques in Wireless Multimedia Networks. Edited by: Xiao Y, Li W. Nova Science, New York, NY, USA; 2006.
- Yates RD, Huang C-Y: Integrated power control and base station assignment. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1995,44(3):638-644. 10.1109/25.406632View Article
- Hanly SV: An algorithm for combined cell-site selection and power control to maximize cellular spread spectrum capacity. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 1995,13(7):1332-1340. 10.1109/49.414650View Article
- Kelly FP: Charging and rate control for elastic traffic. European Transactions on Telecommunications 1997,8(1):33-37. 10.1002/ett.4460080106View Article
- Oh S-J, Wasserman KM: Optimality of greedy power control and variable spreading gain in multi-class CDMA mobile networks. Proceedings of the 5th Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (Mobicom '99), August 1999, Seattle, Wash, USA 102-112.View Article
- Saraydar CU, Mandayam NB, Goodman DJ: Pricing and power control in a multicell wireless data network. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2001,19(10):1883-1892. 10.1109/49.957304View Article
- Xiao M, Shroff NB, Chong EKP: Utility-based power control in cellular wireless systems. Proceedings of the 20th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '01), April 2001, Anchorage, Alaska, USA 1: 412-421.
- Lee J-W, Mazumdar RR, Shroff NB: Joint resource allocation and base-station assignment for the downlink in CDMA networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 2006,14(1):1-14.View Article
- Liu X, Chong EKP, Shroff NB: Opportunistic transmission scheduling with resource-sharing constraints in wireless networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 2001,19(10):2053-2064. 10.1109/49.957318View Article
- Shabany M, Navaie K, Sousa ES: Downlink resource allocation for data traffic in heterogenous cellular CDMA networks. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC '04), June-July 2004, Alexandria, Egypt 1: 436-441.
- Shabany M, Navaie K: Joint pilot power adjustment and base station assignment for data traffic in cellular CDMA networks. Proceedings of IEEE/Sarnoff Symposium on Advances in Wired and Wireless Communication, April 2004, Princeton, NJ, USA 179-183.
- Vannithamby R, Sousa ES: An optimum rate/power allocation scheme for downlink in hybrid CDMA/TDMA cellular system. Proceedings of the 52th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '00), September 2000, Boston, Mass, USA 4: 1734-1738.
- Lee T-H, Lin J-C, Yu TS: Downlink power control algorithms for cellular radio systems. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 1995,44(1):89-94. 10.1109/25.350273View Article
- Grandhi SA, Zander J: Constrained power control in cellular radio systems. Proceedings of the 44th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '94), June 1994, Stockholm, Sweden 2: 824-828.View Article
- Shih W: A branch and bound method for the multiconstraint zero-one knapsack problem. The Journal of the Operational Research Society 1979,30(4):369-378.View ArticleMATH
- Akbar M, Manning EG, Shoja GC, Khan S: Heuristic solutions for the multiple-choice multi-dimension knapsack problem. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS '01), May 2001, San Francisco, Calif, USA 659-668.
- Moser M, Jokanovic DP, Shiratori N: An algorithm for the multidimensional multiple-choice knapsack problem. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences 1997,80(3):582-589.
- Everett H III: Generalized lagrange multiplier method for solving problems of optimum allocation of resources. Operations Research 1963,11(3):399-417. 10.1287/opre.11.3.399MathSciNetView ArticleMATH
- Harada H, Prasad R: Simulation and Software Radio for Mobile Communications. Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA; 2002.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.