Modified Spatial Channel Model for MIMO Wireless Systems
© Lorenzo Mucchi et al. 2007
Received: 13 June 2007
Accepted: 11 November 2007
Published: 17 December 2007
The third generation partnership Project's (3GPP) spatial channel model (SCM) is a stochastic channel model for MIMO systems. Due to fixed subpath power levels and angular directions, the SCM model does not show the degree of variation which is encountered in real channels. In this paper, we propose a modified SCM model which has random subpath powers and directions and still produces Laplace shape angular power spectrum. Simulation results on outage MIMO capacity with basic and modified SCM models show that the modified SCM model gives constantly smaller capacity values. Accordingly, it seems that the basic SCM gives too small correlation between MIMO antennas. Moreover, the variance in capacity values is larger using the proposed SCM model. Simulation results were supported by the outage capacity results from a measurement campaign conducted in the city centre of Oulu, Finland.
- Foschini GJ, Gans MJ: On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas. Wireless Personal Communications 1998,6(3):311-335. 10.1023/A:1008889222784View Article
- Vucetic B, Yuan J: Space-Time Coding. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK; 2003.View Article
- Steinbauer M, Hampicke D, Sommerkorn G, et al.: Array measurement of the double-directional mobile radio channel. Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '00), May 2000, Tokyo, Japan 3: 1656-1662.
- 3GPP : SpatialChannel Model for Multiple Input Multiple Output MIMO simulations. Technical Specification Group Radio Access Network TR 25.996 v6.1.0 2003.
- Salo J, Del Galdo G, Salmi J, et al.: MATLAB implementation of the 3GPP spatial channel model. Tech. Rep. TR 25.996 2005. http://www.elektrobit.com/index.php?209
- Reza FM: An Introduction to Information Theory, Courier Dover Publications. Mc-Graw Hill, New York, NY, USA; 1994.
- Ylitalo J, Juntti M: MIMO communications with applications to (B)3G and 4G systems-tutorial. 2004.
- Ylitalo J: On spectral efficiency in spatially clustered MIMO radio channels. Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '06), May 2006, Melbourne, Australia 6: 2906-2910.
- Gesbert D, Ekman T, Christophersen N: Capacity limits of dense palm-sized MIMO arrays. Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '02), November 2002, Taipei, Taiwan 2: 1187-1191.
- Propsound, radio channel sounder http://www.propsim.com/index.php?1983.
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.