On Energy-Efficient Hierarchical Cross-Layer Design: Joint Power Control and Routing for Ad Hoc Networks
© C. Comaniciu and H. V. Poor. 2007
Received: 29 January 2006
Accepted: 30 December 2006
Published: 14 March 2007
A hierarchical cross-layer design approach is proposed to increase energy efficiency in ad hoc networks through joint adaptation of nodes' transmitting powers and route selection. The design maintains the advantages of the classic OSI model, while accounting for the cross-coupling between layers, through information sharing. The proposed joint power control and routing algorithm is shown to increase significantly the overall energy efficiency of the network, at the expense of a moderate increase in complexity. Performance enhancement of the joint design using multiuser detection is also investigated, and it is shown that the use of multiuser detection can increase the capacity of the ad hoc network significantly for a given level of energy consumption.
- Cai Z, Lu M, Wang X: Minimum average transmission power routing in CDMA ad hoc networks utilizing the blind multiuser detection. Proceedings of the 16th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS '02), April 2002, Fort Lauderdale, Fla, USA 428-433.
- Kim D, Garcia-Luna-Aceves JJ, Obraczka K, Cano J, Manzoni P: Power-aware routing based on the energy drain rate for mobile ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN '02), October 2002, Miami, Fla, USA 565-569.
- Li X-Y, Wan P-J, Wang Y, Frieder O: Constrained shortest paths in wireless networks. Proceedings of IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM '01), October 2001, McLean, Va, USA 2: 884-893.
- Tragoudas S, Dimitrova S: Routing with energy considerations in mobile ad-hoc networks. Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '00), September 2000, Chicago, Ill, USA 3: 1258-1261.View Article
- ElBatt T, Ephremides A: Joint scheduling and power control for wireless ad-hoc networks. Proceedings of the 21st IEEE Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '02), June 2002, New York, NY, USA 2: 976-984.
- Agarwal S, Katz RH, Krishnamurthy SV, Dao SK: Distributed power control in ad-hoc wireless networks. Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '01), September-October 2001, San Diego, Calif, USA 2: F-59-F-66.
- Ettus M: System capacity, latency, and power consumption in multihop-routed SS-CDMA wireless networks. Proceedings of IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON '98), August 1998, Colorado Springs, Colo, USA 55-58.
- Kwon TJ, Gerla M: Clustering with power control. Proceedings of IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM '99), October-November 1999, Atlantic City, NJ, USA 2: 1424-1428.View Article
- Meshkati F, Poor HV, Schwartz SC, Mandayam NB: An energy-efficient approach to power control and receiver design in wireless data networks. IEEE Transactions on Communications 2005,53(11):1885-1894. 10.1109/TCOMM.2005.858695View Article
- Bertocchi F, Bergamo P, Mazzini G, Zorzi M: MAC and routing solution for energy saving in ad hoc networks: distributed power control. Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the 4th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, and the 4th Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia (ICICS-PCM '03), December 2003, Singapore 2: 1061-1065.
- Comaniciu C, Mandayam NB, Poor HV: Wireless Networks: Multiuser Detection in Cross-Layer Design. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 2005.
- Comaniciu C, Poor HV: QoS provisioning for wireless ad hoc data networks. Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, December 2003, Maui, Hawaii, USA 1: 92-97.
- Yener A, Kishore S: Distributed power control and routing for clustered CDMA wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 60th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '04), September 2004, Los Angeles, Calif, USA 4: 2951-2955.
- Goldsmith AJ, Wicker SB: Design challenges for energy-constrained ad hoc wireless networks. IEEE Wireless Communications 2002,9(4):8-27. 10.1109/MWC.2002.1028874View Article
- Kawadia V, Kumar PR: A cautionary perspective on cross-layer design. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Ill, USA; 2003.
- Goodman D, Mandayam N: Power control for wireless data. IEEE Personal Communications 2000,7(2):48-54. 10.1109/98.839331View ArticleMATH
- Yates R: A framework for uplink power control in cellular radio systems. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 1995,13(7):1341-1348. 10.1109/49.414651MathSciNetView Article
- Bayes Net Toolbox for Matlab http://bnt.sourceforge.net/.
- Bertsekas D, Gallager R: Data Networks. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA; 1992.MATH
- Xing Y, Nie N, Comaniciu C: Avoiding throughput bottlenecks for energy efficient joint power control and routing in ad hoc wireless networks. Proceedings of the Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, March 2004, Princeton, NJ, USA
- Mahmood H, Comaniciu C: Adaptive spreading/coding gains for energy efficient routing in wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the 61st IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '05), May-June 2005, Stockholm, Sweden 4: 2454-2458.
- Ulukus S, Yates R: Adaptive power control and multiuser interference suppression. ACM Wireless Networks 1998,4(6):489-496. 10.1023/A:1019101700730View Article
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.