Capacity Versus Bit Error Rate Trade-Off in the DVB-S2 Forward Link
© Matteo Berioli et al. 2007
Received: 5 October 2006
Accepted: 12 March 2007
Published: 7 May 2007
The paper presents an approach to optimize the use of satellite capacity in DVB-S2 forward links. By reducing the so-called safety margins, in the adaptive coding and modulation technique, it is possible to increase the spectral efficiency at expenses of an increased BER on the transmission. The work shows how a system can be tuned to operate at different degrees of this trade-off, and also the performance which can be achieved in terms of BER/PER, spectral efficiency, and interarrival, duration, strength of the error bursts. The paper also describes how a Markov chain can be used to model the ModCod transitions in a DVB-S2 system, and it presents results for the calculation of the transition probabilities in two cases.
- ETSI EN 302 307 V1.1.2 : Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); second generation framing structure, channel coding and modulation systems for broadcasting, interactive services, news gathering and other broadband satellite applications. 2006.
- ETSI EN 301 790 V1.4.1 : Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); interaction channel for satellite distribution systems. 2005.
- Fairhurst G, Berioli M, Renker G: Cross-layer control of adaptive coding and modulation for satellite Internet multimedia. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking 2006,24(6):471-491. 10.1002/sat.857View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- ETSI TS 126 102 : AMR Speech Codec. 2001.
- ISO/IEC 14496-2 : Coding of audio-visual objects (MPEG-4)—part 2: visual. 2004.
- ETSI TR 126 975 : Performance Characterisation of the Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) Speech Codec. 2004.
- Larzon L-A, Degermark M, Pink S, Jonsson L-E, Fairhurst G: The Lightweight User Datagram Protocol (UDP-Lite). IETF, RFC 3828, 2004View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Datta-Barua S, Doherty PH, Delay SH, Dehel T, Klobuchar JA: Ionospheric scintillation effects on single and dual frequency GPS positioning. Proceedings of the 16th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation (ION GPS/GNSS '03), September 2003, Portland, Ore, USA 336-346.Google Scholar
- Tatarskii VI: Wave Propagation in a Turbulent Medium. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA; 1961.Google Scholar
- Matricciani E, Mauri M, Riva C: Relationship between scintillation and rain attenuation at 19.77 GHz. Radio Science 1996,31(2):273-280. 10.1029/95RS03475View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wörz T, Schweikert R, Jahn A, Rinaldo R: Physical layer efficiency of satellite DVB using fade mitigation techniques. Proceedings of the International Communication Satellite Systems Conference (ICSSC '05), September 2005, Rome, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Casini E, De Gaudenzi R, Ginesi A: DVB-S2 modem algorithms design and performance over typical satellite channels. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking 2004,22(3):281-318. 10.1002/sat.791View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Neuts MF: Matrix-Geometric Solutions in Stochastic Models: An Algorithmic Approach. Dover, Mineola, NY, USA; 1981.MATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.